Housed in a Tudor style building, the theater offers foreign, classic and indie films in a small intimate setting.
Edna & Emanuel Olson, a hard-working couple who lived in the tudor-style house on the hill overlooking Lynwood Theater, built the structure known as Lynwood Center and opened the Island’s first “talking picture” theatre. Silent screen houses dotted the Island, most notably was perhaps Port Blakely’s Please U Theatre. The Lynwood Theatre opened with much fanfare on July 3, 1936 with the musical comedies TIMES SQUARE PLAYBOY and SHE COULDN’T TAKE IT with George Raft and Billie Burke.
In the early 1950′s, the Olsons sold the business to nephew Glenn Nolta and his wife Lucille, who ran the theatre until 1982 when current owner Sam Granato bought the business.
1994 brought improvements to the old theater – a new surround sound system and a bigger popcorn machine*, for a start. A new concessions stand keeping the art deco style, an enlarged lobby, and brand new auditorium seats made the old Lynwood Theatre shine as proud as she was on July 3, 1936. In 1997 new projectors replaced the old Sears Motiographs which had provided solid reliability for 50 years, and our new screen now makes images cleaner and brighter than ever.